Monday, February 4, 2008

An Open Letter To Our Cell Group Leaders

Cell groups have started and the new ministry year has finally begun. Firstly, let me say that I am thankful for the commitment of our cell group leaders - let it always be to Jesus and his mission. I anticipate both a challenging and an exciting year as we look to bring a renewed vision of Jesus and His mission to our church. As I shared on Sunday, renewal comes when we are grounded in the gospel of the the Lord Jesus who died for my sins, who rose from the dead, who today rules this city and my world; renewal comes when we begin to see that Jesus calls us to a bigger vision in life and ministry than our narrow vision ... the people in this city and the world is our mission; renewal comes when we rely on, depend on, seek, and wait on the power of the Holy Spirit to empower us to accomplish his vision and mission through our lives, in this city and in our world. We need all three - a clear gospel, a wider vision, and the power of the Spirit. My prayer is that God might be so gracious as to do just that for me, for you, and for the people under your care. Pray with me, for me and for each other, and for our people. It's what we need.

Secondly, let me say that I'm looking forward to leading our Tuesday evening cell group leaders fellowship this year. I know that we're all busy with ministry, but I hope you'll see coming on Tuesday evening as your time: your time to sharpen yourself and others; your time to chill, relax and share with other leaders; your time to be renewed personally for life and leadership. My prayer is that you'll come and leave energized, excited and empowered for Jesus and his mission.

We'll be meeting up as cell group leaders starting this month on the 2nd and 4th Tuesdays of the month at church, with our first get together on the 12th (next week). The program for us as cell group leaders on Tuesday will generally be a simple one - we meet at 8pm sharp and will be finished by 9.30pm. They'll be a short teaching segment that I'll take (1/2 hour); they'll be small group time (guys/girls) to think and work through the implications/relevance of what we might look at (1/2 hour); and then 1/2 hour of praying over what we've explored, for ourselves, and for people in our cell groups.

Thirdly, let me say that I'll be praying for you these few weeks as your cell groups start. May you know the leading and power of the Spirit, as you follow Him and as you lead others under Him.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

May I also encourage the cell group leaders to make this a priority, as we all need to be equipped in teaching God's word. It needs to be handles with care! Among other things may we all follow the advice given from Paul to Titus, and the church leaders - "In your teaching show integrity, seriousness and soundness of speech that cannot be condemned, so that...they have nothing bad to say about us" Titus 2:7-8

8ored80y said...

May I encourage you, the only way I can:

Luke 17;1-3; Jesus said to his disciples: "Things that cause people to stumble are bound to come, but woe to anyone through whom they come. It would be better for you to be thrown into the sea with a millstone tied around your neck than for you to cause one of these little ones to stumble. So watch yourselves".

Jesus set high standards. As should you for your ministry. (Sophia would be screaming at me now =)